In just over 26,340 square Kilometres are over 1 million Anglicans, out of a quickly growing population of 8.7 million. The former Ruanda Mission established its first station at Gahini in 1925 and grew through the revival of the 1930s and 1940s, with the first Rwandan Bishop appointed in 1965. Eight dioceses have up to 40 parishes, which in turn comprise 15-20 congregations. Like all strata of Rwandan society, the Church suffered through the genocide, and it is a major priority of the church to replace clergy through training.
The Church has a role as a healing ministry to the many traumatised people in Rwanda and to reconciliation, restoration, and rehabilitation. The Church has also been involved in rural development, medical work, vocational training, and education.
In 2019, the Church changed its name from “Province de l’Eglise Anglicane au Rwanda” (Province of the Anglican Church in Rwanda) to “Eglise Anglicane du Rwanda” (Anglican Church of Rwanda).