Back to results
The Position of Women in the Councils and Ministrations of the Church
The following functions may be entrusted to the deaconess, in addition to the ordinary duties which would normally fall to her:
- to prepare candidates for baptism and confirmation;
- to assist at the administration of Holy Baptism; and to be the administrant in cases of necessity in virtue of her office;
- to pray with and give counsel to such women as desire help in difficulties and perplexities;
- with the approval of the bishop and of the parish priest, and under such conditions as shall from time to time be laid down by the bishop:
- in church to read Morning and Evening Prayer and the Litany, except such portions as are assigned to the priest only;
- in church also to lead in prayer and, under licence of the bishop, to instruct and exhort the congregation.
Voting on Clause d(ii): For 117; Against 81.