• December 9 – 11, 2005: Islamabad – Pakistan, International Conference on Human Rights & Peace
• Jan 2 – 6, 2006: World Congress on the Family“
Restore Family Life and sustain World Peace”, Venue
Chennai - India
• Jan 16- Feb 3, 2006 New York
34th Session of the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women
(CEDAW). The Committee convenes to discuss states’ progress towards meeting the commitments of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW).
In January of 2006, CEDAW will consider Initial Reports from Cambodia, Eritrea, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Togo. It will also consider Periodic Reports from Australia, Mali, Thailand and Venezuela.
For more information on CEDAW, visit : http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/cedaw/
• January 15 – 17, 2006 UNEP to host first Trade Union Assembly on Labor and the Environment at UNEP headquarters in Kenya
• Jan 24 – Feb. 5 2006 NEW YORK
Fifth Session of the Ad Hoc Committee on a Comprehensive International Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights and Dignity of Persons with Disabilities.
For further information on the Draft Convention, see:
• Feb 8-17, 2006 NEW YORK
44th Session of the Commission for Social Development
Chair: H.E. Ernesto Aranibar Quiroga (Bolivia)
Major focus: Review of the first UN Decade for the Eradication of Poverty ( 1997-2006)
Other issues considered: Disabled/ Programme of Action for Youth/ Programme of Action on Ageing/ Family issues.
For more information on the Commission on Social Development visit:
• Feb 27- March 10 NEW YORK
50th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
The Commission will continue the programme “Implementation of Critical Areas of Concern” set for 2002-2006:
The two major areas of discussion will be:
- Enhanced participation of women in development: an enabling environment for achieving gender equality and the advancement of women, taking into account, among other things, the fields of education, health and work.
Equal participation of women and men in decision-making processes at all levels.
For more information on the Commission on the Status of Women, visit:
• March 16-22: 4th World Water Forum, Mexico City.
• April 3-7 NEW YORK
39th Session of the Commission on Population and Development.
Theme: International Migration and Development.
For more information on Commission on Population and Development visit:
• May 1-12 NEW YORK
14th Session of Commission on Sustainable Development.
Chair: H.E. Mr. Aleksi Aleksishvili (Georgia)
CSD 14 marks the 2nd cycle of the Commission’s new work program. It will review progress made in the following areas:
- Energy for Sustainable Development
- Industrial Development
- Air pollution / Atmosphere
- Climate change
- Cross- cutting issues.
For more information on the Commission on Sustainable Development, visit:
• May 15-26 NEW YORK
5th Session of Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues.
Chair: Ms. Victoria Tauli Corpuz (Republic of the Philippines)
Special Theme: Millennium Development Goals and Indigenous Peoples: redefining the Goals:
- a. MDGs – development and consultation
- b. Cross-cutting approaches to the implementation and monitoring of the MDGs
- c. Follow-up on goals 1 and 2
- d. Report of the Expert International Group Meeting on the MDGs, Indigenous participation and good governance.
[Goals 3-8 will be addressed through indigenous approaches to cultural diversity, traditional knowledge and human rights. These approaches apply also to MDG country reports and to Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers]
For more information on the Permanent Forum, visit:
• May 31 – Jun 2, 2006: UNGASS on HIV/AIDS, www.unaids.org
• July 10 -28
35th Session on the Committee on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women. (CEDAW)
[COUNTRY REPORTS NOT YET AVAILABLE]
• May 15: International Day of Families
• Sep 08: International Literacy Day
• Sep 16: International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer
• September 21: International Day of Peace
• October l: International Day of Older Persons
• October 3: World Habitat Day (first Monday of October)
• October 5: World Teacher’s Day
• October 10: World Mental Hesalth Day
• October 16: World Food Day
• October 17: International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
• October 24: United Nations Day
• November 25: International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
• December 1: World AIDS Day
• December 10: Human Rights Day
Any Anglican or Episcopalian interested in attending any of the above
mentioned events as the representative of the Anglican Consultative
Council's United Nations Office should contact Br William through the
website and start a discussion with him about volunteering for the office.