The name of the Church in Maori is, ‘Te Hahi Mihinare ki Aotearoa ki Niu Tireni, ki Nga Moutere o Te Moana Nui a Kiwa.’
Formerly known as the Church of the Province of New Zealand, the Church covers 270,500 sq km (plus 11,000,000 sq kms for Diocese of Polynesia) and includes the countries of New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands. It was established as an autonomous Church in 1857.
A revised constitution adopted in 1992 reflects a commitment to bicultural development that allows freedom and responsibility to implement worship and mission in accordance with the culture and social conditions of the Maori, Pakeha and Polynesian membership. The Church has a strong and effective board of missions.