|ARCHBISHOP IAN AND BISHOP PJ LAWRENCE
|Photo No. : P130610-1
|The Rt Revd Dr P.J Lawrence , the new Director of the Diocesan Training Centre issues the schedule to provide tutoring for the Moore College Certificate Course. Ven S Andre plans to finish rehabilitating the Former FBTM centre and finally relocate the Centre to Rose Hill near Holy Trinity Church by 1 July 2013.
June 10, 2013
[Diocese of Mauritius - Indian Ocean]
DIOCESAN TRAINING CENTRE
Rt Revd Dr P.J Lawrence
Director 9th June 2013
Diocesan Training Centre
Email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Dear Members of the Clergy
Greetings in our Lords name.
As proposed at the Clergy meeting, the Diocesan Training Centre is going to provide tutoring for the Moore College Certificate Course.
The first unit of Stage 1 is Introduction to the Bible (English and French) as from the 1st of July 2013 at Holy Trinity DTC.
You are kindly requested to announce the programme and to encourage parishioners, your Sunday School teacher(s), Lay Readers, Pastoral Assistants and others in leadership to undertake the same.
The DTC will develop an assessment for those who do not wish to take exams.
You will find all the relevant information about the Course and enrolment forms to be filled in by the participants and duly stamped and signed by you below.
If you have more than 10 persons from your Church, we will deliver the programme at your Church.
Thank you for your cooperation.
MOORE COLLEGE CERTIFICATE COURSE IN THEOLOGY
Information to Clergy
The Course is a three year Course, with 3 stages of 6 units studied in a set order. Details enclosed.
Each term lasts 10 weeks .Exams are optional, though a pass is required in each unit to gain a certificate
Exams are held at the end of each unit.
Terms for 2013 start on:
Term 1. March 1st
Term 2 June 1st
Term 3 September 1st
Term 4 December 1st
Exceptionally the DTC will register students in July 2013 with exams in November.
Moore Courses are in English ,but three units are available in French and the rest will be provided as soon as possible.
Printed notes will be forwarded to students and it is suggested a minimum of 5 hours per week be allocated for study.
Cost ($55Aud) Rs 2000 per unit (Including course book, registration fees and exam fees, postage and bank charges).
($70Aud) Rs 2400 for husband and wife using the same notes)
WHAT ARE THE UNITS?
Stage 1. Preliminary Theological Certificate (PTC)
1. Introduction to the Bible. An overview of the entire Bible, plus helpful hints on how to understand its main themes.
2. New Testament 1. Exploring Gods purposes in sending Christ. Getting to know Jesus through Marks Gospel.
3. Old Testament 1. What do the first 5 books of the Old Testament teach about God and his purposes? What holds them together theologically?
4. Doctrine 1. Exploring the Bibles teaching about God-how we get to know him, what he is like, what he has done for us.
5. Ephesians. A big picture with cosmic dimensions of God and his world. It shows how God wants us to live.
6. Elective: Choose one of the following units:
6.1. Promise to Fulfillment. Interpreting the Bible using a method grounded in biblical theology.
6.2. Prayer Book. An historical and theoretical exploration of how and why Anglicans have met together.
6.3. Christian Worship. What is the biblical meaning of worship ? How will that meaning be expressed?
Stage 2 Intermediate Theological Certificate (ITC).
7. Old Testament 2. Considering the former prophets from Joshua to 2 Kings.
8. New Testament 2. Tracing how the risen and ascended Christ continues to achieve his gospel purposes through the events of the book of Acts.
9. Doctrine 2.Who is Jesus Christ? What is the nature of sin? How did Christs death deal with sin?
10. Romans. This study opens up the central truths of the Gospel. The book of Romans has changed many lives-some of which have changed history.
11. Elective 1: Choose one of the following units:
11.1 Early Church History. A look at the life of the Church0its struggles, persecution and consolidation) through the first five centuries AD.
11.2 Reformation Church History. The Reformation was the time when the Gospel was rediscovered. Learn how Christians found the freedom Christ brings.
Elective 2: Choose one of the following units:
12.1 Promise to Fulfillment .See 6.1
12.2 Christian Ethics. What is the nature of ethics and morality? How do we develop a Christian ethic?
12.3. Prayer Book .See 6.2
12.4 Christian Worship. See 6.3
Stage 3 Certificate in Theology (ThC)
13. Old Testament 3. The unit considers the latter Prophets with a special focus on the book of Isaiah.
14. New Testament 3. How did Paul minister? Take a journey through Pauls letters to find out.
15. Doctrine 3. This unit explores the nature and purpose of the Church.
16. Elective 1: Choose one of the following units:
16.1 Old Testament 4. The focus of this unit is on the writings, with a particular look at the nature of wisdom literature in the Old Testament.
16.2 Gospel and Epistles of John. How do Johns gospels and his epistles testify to the life and work of Jesus?
17. Elective 2: Choose one of the following units :
17.1 New Testament 4. An overview of the non-Pauline letters with a special focus on Hebrews and Revelation.
17.2 Historical theology. This unit contains significant church leaders and their contribution to the development of doctrinal understanding from the first to the twelfth century.
18. Elective 3 : Choose one unit from the following units:
18.1 Apologetics. How do we answer peoples questions about Christianity? This unit presents guidelines on how to develop a reasoned biblical approach.
18.2 Historical Theology. This unit considers significant church leaders and their contribution to the development of doctrinal understanding from the thirteenth to the twentieth century.
Please note that Sunday School teachers, Lay Readers and Pastoral Assistants are requested to do the first Stage of the Course.
As for those who wish to be permanent deacons and ordinands should take the 3 Stages of the Course and they will have to undertake further studies for a Diploma in Theology
Enrolment Form Introduction to the Bible: English French .Please tick
Christian Names Surname
Why do you want to follow this Course?....................................................................
Do you hold a leadership position in your Parish? Please give relevant
Stamp of the Parish Signature of Parish priest