|Episcopal Church of Sudan Holds HIV/AIDS Workshop
June 2, 2005
[CAPA - Sudan] The Episcopal Church of Sudan (ECS) HIV/AIDS Advocacy Consultation for Bishops and Church Leaders was held at the Ankrah Foundation Mukono Uganda from May 23rd to May 26th 2005. The theme of the Consultation was “HIV/AIDS and Southern Sudan: A disaster waiting to happen”. The Consultation was sponsored by CAPA and other partners such as CMS and Across. There were 24 delegates in total composed of 12 ECS bishops, 1 Diocesan HIV/AIDS Coordinator, observers from the Sudan Pentecostal Church amongst them the General Overseer and the General Secretary, and facilitators from CAPA, CMS and Across.
The Consultation was opened with prayer and reflection by Archbishop Joseph Marona. He read from the book of Matthew 17 verse 20 and concluded by saying “If I don’t mention Jesus Christ I feel guilty, if I don’t mention AIDS I feel Guilty.”
A Coordinating Committee with representation from each of the 6 clusters of Dioceses was set up.
The objectives of the Consultation were to:
1. Undertake a situational analysis of how the ECS Dioceses have responded to HIV/AIDS
2. Overview of the CAPA HIV/AIDS Program
3. Initiate ECS Provincial Action Plan
4. Develop a Provincial Plan for the ECS
Some of the key recommendations of the workshop were:-
1. Urgent need to encourage behavior change, encourage people to know their status and support the infected and affected.
2. The Church should be part of the multisectoral approach and should join networks such as SCAN (Sudan Christian Aids Network).
3. Encouraging church leaders and their wives to be role model and attend VCT.
4. Mobilizing the Churches in Sudan to pray and join together in the fight and also ensuring that the Church has a policy on all issues relating to HIV/AIDS.
5. Accessing PEP FAR money for prevention messages in Diocesan Primary schools and churches.
6. Equip the Church leadership with knowledge and skills to enable them respond early before prevalence rates rise.
7. Provide care for orphans and widows.
8. Designing programmes to promote awareness as well as behaviour change based on the gospel.
9. A strategic Planning Workshop for ECS to be held in 2006 to include women, PLWA and 1 bishop from each of the 6 clusters.
LIST OF PARTICIPANTS
Abp Joseph Marona - Juba
Bp Eluzai Munda - Mundri
Bp Bullen Dolli - Lui
Bp Nathaniel Garang - Bor
Bp Levi Hassan Nzakara - Ibba
Bp Benjamin Ruati John - Ezo
Bp Arama Justin Badi - Maridi
Bp Michael Sokiri Lugor - Rejaf
Bp Alapayo Manyang Kuctiel - Rumbek
Bp Wilson Arop Ogwok - Torit
Bp Peter Munde Yacoub - Yambio
Bp Peter Amidi - Lainya
Bp’s Representative - Yei
Bp (Rtd) Zebedi Maseleka
Rev. Canon John Kanyikwa - CAPA
Dr. Rena Downing - CAPA
Rev. Antony Poggo - ACROSS
Mr. Denis Tongoi - CMS
Rev. Sam Ruteikara - Facilitator
Mrs Jane Kisaka - Facilitator