From the Rt. Rev. John Samuel
Greetings in the precious name of our Lord the Saviour Jesus Christ.
I would like to report that last night at 18.00 hours on 24th, we heard a call given by Muslim Priest (Moulvi), in charge of mosque which is adjacent to the Bishop's house that some unknown person has made an attempt to incinerate several old copies of Holy Qurans at 14.00 hours on 24th. Since as per Islamic philosophy it is a matter of great concern, all muslim scholars urged the general population to go on strike the following day. That is for today 25th May. We realized at the same time that we will be on the top of their hit list. So, we took the following precautionary measures:
1. We informed the local Sub-Divisional magistrate that the situation can be taken a serious turn at any time so they should provide us protection.
2. Girls' Hostel were closed down and early in the morning they were shifted to nearby Christian village Cahk No.424 - Montgomerywala for safety and protection.
3. Employees' families were told to stay inside their house and specially the young boys of Iver Hostel were advised to remain inside their rooms and they should remain, show Christian spirit peace by accepting all hardship to glorify His name and not make any reciprocal action.
This morning, after 08 hours, the templating moment arrived although a handful of policemen who were deployed by the administration at maingate of St John's Cathedral Higher Secondary School, but could not resist much in the front of processiontist who were trying to attack the following premises:
1. The bishop's house. They tried to get in the Bishop's House to damage the place from three directions but police made their attempts unsuccessful by shooting in the air and using heavy tear-gas and with baton charge.
2. Mission Courtyard housing area. At one stage, they were able to get into the Housing Area by pushing police backward by stoning them heavily but at the right time efforts of muslim friend, factory owner, saved us from heavy 1055, who pushed them out and restrained them by causing much damage to the properties in this area apart from damaging ftilegas meter, power supplies meters.
3. Iver Hostel. They also tried to attack Iver Hostel from all directions and they made several attempts. Police were able to control them by using teargas shells and firing in the air. Over here they burnt power meter and fuelegas meter and window panes were broken also
4. St John's Cahtedral. They made several attempts to get inside but were restrained by police.
5. St John's Cathedral Higher Secondary School. First of all, the mob tried to get into the school from front but police made their attempt unsuccessful. Then they went from the backyard and burnt Primary Section class rooms with furniture inside and electric fittings, installations in those rooms. It will take a while to assess the actual loss.
6. St John's Girls Hostel. Though they were not able to get inside the hostel's main building but were able to devastate the Chapel which is on the road side.
It is just to inform about this mishap and another attempt to punish The Christians in the name of 'Islam" for those deeds which have nothing to do with us and all of these processions were led by Muslim Scholars. The situation is still very tense, so please keep us remembered in your prayers and if you feel so inform BBC, USPO, RCN-Holland and other friends and well-wishers, brothers and sisters world over.
May God bless all of you.
Yours sincerely in Him
Rt Revd John Samuel Bishop of Faisalabad