The Earl and Countess of Wessex – Prince Edward and Sophie visited the Mediterranean Mission To Seafarers in Gibraltar on 12th June as part of Her Majesty the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
The Royal couple were accompanied by the Governor Vice Admiral Sir Adrian Johns and Chief Minister Fabian Picardo. The Earl and Countess spent about 30 minutes chatting with staff, committee members and the Port Chaplain before visiting the Gibraltar Port Authority.
The Mediterranean Mission to Seafarers Gibraltar is a kindred society of Mission to Seafarers of which Her Majesty The Queen is Patron.
The Mission was originally established by the Anglican Diocese of Gibraltar in the late 1800s as the Gibraltar Seamen’s Mission. In May 1922 the name was changed to the Mediterranean Mission to Seamen. In the early days the Mission operated from a Nissan hut in the port area and even had its own launch “The Flying Angel” which was used to visit ships anchored in the bay. In 1951 the Mission was officially granted a building on the North Mole comprising of a club house with a flat for the Missioner above.
Fr Andrew Jacobson is the current Mediterranean Mission to Seafarers Port Chaplain. Fr Andrew works in partnership with clergy and lay colleagues from the Roman Catholic Apostleship of the Sea, the Sailors Society and other faith groups to meet the spiritual needs of seafarers visiting Gibraltar. Fr Andrew is available to offer Christian services, spiritual support and opportunities for prayer and quiet reflection. The Mission has its own management committee and close links with Holy Trinity Cathedral.
The Flying Angel and Port Authority Club is managed on behalf of Mission to Seafarers The club offers refreshments, television, books, recreational activities, Internet and phone facilities for port employees and seafarers from visiting vessels.
See the photos of the visit here